Saturday, October 10, 2015

Day 29, SORROWFUL MYSTERIES, 10 October, Saturday


At the Foot of the Cross
From The Passion of Jesus Christ, by St. Alphonsus de Liguori

The sorrowful Mother stood at the foot of the cross with some pious women: There stood by the cross of Jesus His mother. O God! Who would not pity a mother standing beside the cross on which a son dies before her eyes? Consider Mary, standing beneath the cross, contemplating the pains in the midst of which her well-beloved Son was expiring: She desired to give him some alleviation, and she saw, on the other hand, that her presence increased the grief of this same Son, who was full of compassion for his tender Mother. This was a terrible affliction for Mary, a torture that made her the Queen of Martyrs.

Seeing himself, then, abandoned by everyone, all men trying to make his death more painful, Jesus raised his eyes to his eternal Father to obtain some consolation. But seeing him laden with all our sins, for which he wished to satisfy the divine justice, his Father also abandoned him. Then it was that our Savior, crying out with a loud voice, said: My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?

But our Savior, so full of love, is on the point of expiring. Christians, look at the cross. Behold those dying eyes, that face so pale, the sacred body which is abandoned to death. Before expiring, Jesus uttered these words: It is finished. It is as if he had said: O men, love me; I have done all that I can do in order to save your souls and gain your love. See the painful life that I have led during thirty-three years for love of you. I wished then on your account to be scourged, to be crowned with thorns, to be struck, to be covered with wounds from head to foot. What more was needed? Should I die for love of you? Well, then! I wish to die. Come, O death! I permit you to come; take away my life, in order that my sheep may live. And Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, Father, into Your hands I commend My spirit. My Father, he then said, I die for Your glory and for the salvation of men; I commend my soul into Your hands. Behold, then, Jesus dies. O angels of heaven, come, come to be present at the death of your God. And you, O sorrowful Mother! Approach nearer to the cross; look at him more steadfastly, for he is about to expire.

And you Christians, behold him in his agony; see him amid the last respirations of life. Behold his dying eyes, that face so pale, that feebly palpitating heart, that body already wrapped in the arms of death, and that beautiful soul now on the point of leaving that wounded body.

The sky shrouds itself in darkness; the earth quakes; the graves open. Alas, what portentous signs are these! They are signs that the Maker of the world is now dying.

Behold, in the last place, how our Lord, after having commended his blessed soul to his eternal Father, first breathing forth from his afflicted heart a deep sigh, and then bowing down his head in token of his obedience, and offering up his death for the salvation of men, at last through the violence of the pain expires, and delivers up his spirit into the hands of his beloved Father: And crying out with a loud voice, He said 'Father into Your hands I commend My spirit'; and saying this He gave up his spirit.

All those that were present looking at him with attention see him expire, and observing that he is motionless, they exclaim, 'He is dead he is dead!' Mary hears this from all the bystanders, and she also says, 'Ah, my Son, You are dead!' He is dead! Ah, who is dead? It is the King of heaven; the Creator of the world, a God, who wished to die for us poor sinners.

Act of Contrition while showing the Crucifix
Come sinners; here is Jesus Christ who has stretched forth his arms to embrace you. Can you fear that he will not pardon you, when he gave himself up to death in order to pardon you?

Do you perhaps fear that you will not obtain pardon because you find yourselves unable to perform the penance that your sins deserve? Console yourselves; for you here see the penance that Jesus Christ has himself performed for you on the cross; it is sufficient if you sincerely repent of having offended him.

Look at him; see where you can find any one that has loved you more than Jesus Christ has loved you. Love him then, since he died in order to be loved by you. Say to him: Ah, my sweet Savior! Whom should I love if I do not love a God who has died for me?

O sorrowful Mother! Through the sorrow that you did experience in seeing your divine Son expire, obtain for me holy perseverance and a true love of my divine Redeemer.

Prayer

My Jesus, by the pain You did endure when
Your left hand was pierced with the nail,
give me a true sorrow for my sins.
My Jesus, by the pain You did endure when
Your right hand was pierced with the nail,
give me perseverance in Your grace.
My Jesus, by the pain You did endure when
Your left foot was pierced with the nail,
deliver me from the pains of hell.
My Jesus, by the pain You did endure when
Your right foot was pierced with the nail,
give me the grace to love You eternally in heaven.
My Jesus, by the wound that was made in
Your Sacred Heart, give me the grace to love You always
in this life and in the next.
Have mercy on us, Jesus, our Love.
Pray for us, Mary, our Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment