Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 11, SORROWFUL MYSTERIES, Thursday July 9

2nd Novena, Day Two, PETITION

Ah. my Jesus, I love Thee above all things, and whom shall I ever love if I love not Thee, Who art infinite goodness, and Who hast died for me? Would that I could die of grief often as I think how I have driven Thee from my soul by my sins, and thus separated myself from Thee. Who art my only good, and Who hast loved me so much. Who shall separate me from the charity of Christ? (Rom. viii. 35.) It is sin and sin only that can separate me from Thee. But I hope in the blood Thou hast shed for me, that Thou wilt never again allow me to separate myself from Thy love, and lose Thy grace, which I value more than all else in this world. I give my whole self to Thee.

From Meditations on the Passion of Our Lord, Chapter One, St. Alphonsus de Liguori

The great servant of God, Father Balthassar Alvarez, used to say: 'We must not suppose that we have made any progress in the way that leads to God until we keep Jesus Crucified ever in our hearts. And St. Francis de Sales wrote: 'The love which is not the fruit of the Passion is feeble. And so it is; for we can have no more pressing motive for loving God than the Passion of Jesus Christ, in which we learn that the Eternal Father, in order to make manifest the exceeding love which He had for us, sent on earth His only begotten Son to die for us sinners. Hence the Apostle wrote that God, through the too great love wherewith He loved us, willed that the death of His Son should bring life to us: For exceeding charity wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together in Christ. (Eph. ii. 4.) And it was in like terms Moses and Elias expressed themselves on Mount Thabor when speaking of the Passion of Jesus Christ, not knowing how to describe it otherwise than to call it an excess of love: And they spoke of His excess which He should consummate in Jerusalem. (Luke ix. 31.)

When our Saviour came into the world to die for men, the shepherds heard the angels sing: Glory to God on high. But the Son of God, humbling Himself thus in becoming man for the love of man, seemed to obscure rather than to manifest the divine glory; but no; there was no means better adapted to manifest the glory of God to the world than the death of Jesus Christ for the salvation of mankind, since the Passion of our Blessed Lord has made manifest the attributes of God.

It has made known to us the greatness of the Mercy of God, inasmuch as He was willing to die to save sinners, and to die in the Most painful and ignominious manner. 'The sufferings of Jesus Christ, says St. John Chrysostom, 'were not ordinary sufferings, nor was His death a simple death like that of other men.

It has also made known to us the Wisdom of God. Had our Redeemer been only God, He could not have made satisfaction for man, and God could not have made satisfaction to Himself in place of man, nor could He make satisfaction by way of suffering. On the other hand, had He been merely man, He could not have made satisfaction to God for the grievous injury done by man to the Divine Majesty. What, then, did God do? He sent His own Son, true God with the Father, to take human flesh, so that as Man, by dying might pay the debt due to divine justice, and, as God, might make to it full satisfaction. The Passion has, moreover, made known how strict is the Justice of God. According to Saint John Chrysostom, it is not so much in hell that the strictness of divine justice is seen; it is revealed rather in seeing Jesus on the Cross; for in hell creatures are punished for sins of their own, while on the Cross we see a God cruelly treated to make satisfaction for the sins of men. And what obligation had Jesus to die for us? None: He was offered because it was His own will. (Isaias liii. 7.) He might have, with justice, abandoned man to perdition; but the love which He had for us, would not allow Him to see us lost; therefore He chose to give Himself up to so painful a death, that He might save us: He hath loved us and hath delivered Himself for us. (Eph. v. 2.)

God had from all eternity loved man: I have loved thee with an everlasting love. (Jer. Xxxi. 3) But afterwards seeing that His justice obliged Him to condemn man and to keep him ever at a distance from Him and in hell, His mercy urged Him to find a way by which He might save him. But how? By making satisfaction to divine justice by His own death. And, consequently He willed that the condemnation to eternal death which man had merited should have been fixed to that very Cross on which He died, that thus it might be cancelled in His blood: Blotting out the writing of the decree that was against us, which was contrary to us, He hath taken the same out of the way, fastening it to the Cross. (Col. ii. 14.) Thus, by the merits of His own blood, He pardoned all our sins: Forgiving you all offences (Ibid.) At the same time He deprived the devils of the rights which they had acquired over us, carrying with Him in His triumph both His enemies and ourselves whom He had delivered, and who were till then the prey of the devils: And despoiling the principalities and powers, He hath exposed them confidently in open show, triumphing over them in Himself. (Col. ii. 15.) Theophylactus thus explains these words: 'As a triumphant conqueror He carries with Him in His triumph the booty and the enemy.

Hence, while making satisfaction to divine justice as He died on the Cross, Jesus spoke only of mercy. He prayed His Father to have mercy even on the Jews who had brought about His death, and on the murderers who were putting Him to death: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke xxiii. 34.) While on the Cross instead of punishing the two thieves who at first reviled Him, on hearing one ask for mercy (Lord, remember me when Thou shalt come into Thy kingdom) (Luke xxiii. 42), He promised him Paradise that very day: This day thou shalt be with Me in Paradise. (Mark xv. 43.) There on Calvary, before He expired, He gave to us, in the person of St. John, His own Mother to be our Mother. There from the Cross He declares Himself content to have done all for our salvation, and now He makes perfect the sacrifice by His death: Afterwards Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished . . . said: It is consummated. And bowing His head, He gave up the ghost. (John xix. 28. 30.)

Behold by the death of Jesus, man is freed from sin and from the power of the devil; he is, moreover, raised to a life of grace, and to a higher degree of grace than that which Adam lost: And where sin abounded, says St. Paul, grace did more abound. (Rom. v. 20.) And now, therefore, it is for us, according to the same Apostle, to have recourse frequently and with all confidence to this throne of grace, for such indeed is Jesus crucified, that we may, through His mercy, obtain the grace to save our souls, together with the help we need to overcome the temptations of the world and of hell: Let us go therefore with confidence to the throne of grace: that we may obtain mercy, and find grace in seasonable aid. (Heb. iv. 16.)


Ah. my Jesus, I love Thee above all things, and whom shall I ever love if I love not Thee, Who art infinite goodness, and Who hast died for me? Would that I could die of grief often as I think how I have driven Thee from my soul by my sins, and thus separated myself from Thee. Who art my only good, and Who hast loved me so much. Who shall separate me from the charity of Christ? (Rom. viii. 35.) It is sin and sin only that can separate me from Thee. But I hope in the blood Thou hast shed for me, that Thou wilt never again allow me to separate myself from Thy love, and lose Thy grace, which I value more than all else in this world. I give my whole self to Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment