Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 11, SORROWFUL MYSTERIES, Tuesday September 22


Fifth Sorrowful Mystery ~ The Crucifixion
~ Passion of Jesus Christ, St. Alphonsus de Liguori

While hanging on the cross Jesus looked in vain for someone to console him: I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none. On the contrary, he heard those around him uttering blasphemies: If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross. You who will destroy the temple of God, and in three days rebuild it, save yourself. He saved others, himself he cannot save. Why should they care to afflict by insults and derision one that is already expiring on the cross?

And Jesus, while these are outraging him, what is he doing upon the cross? Is he perhaps praying to the eternal Father to punish them? No, he is praying to him to pardon them: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. Yes, says St. Thomas; to show forth the immense love which he had for men, the Redeemer asked pardon of God for his crucifiers: "To show forth the abundance of his love, he asked pardon for his persecutors."  He asked it, and obtained it; for, when they had seen him die they repented of their sin: They returned beating their breasts.

Ah, my dear Savior, behold me at Your feet; I have been one of the most ungrateful of Your persecutors; pray likewise for me to Your Father to pardon me. True it is that the Jews and the executioners knew not what they were doing when they crucified You; but I well knew that in sinning I was offending a God who had been crucified, and had died for me. But Your blood and Your death me the divine mercy. I cannot feel doubtful of being pardoned after seeing You die to obtain pardon for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment