Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 9, GLORIOUS MYSTERIES, Sunday 20 September


Fourth Glorious Mystery ~ The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven
-         St. Alphonsus de Liguori, Glories of Mary

But behold Jesus is now come to take His mother to the kingdom of the blessed. It was revealed to Saint Elizabeth, that her Son appeared to Mary before she expired with His cross in His hands, to show the special glory He had obtained by the redemption; having, by His death, made acquisition of that great creature, who, for all eternity, was to honour Him more than all men and angels. Saint John Damascene relates that our Lord Himself gave her the viaticum, saying with tender love: Receive, O my Mother, from my hands, that same body which thou gavest to me.” And the Mother, having received with the greatest love that last communion, with her last breath said, “My Son, into Thy hands do I commend my spirit. I commend to Thee this soul, which from the beginning Thou didst create rich in so many graces, and by a singular privilege didst preserve from the stain of original sin. I commend to Thee my body, from which Thou didst deign to take Thy flesh and blood. I also commend to Thee these, my beloved children (speaking of the holy disciples who surrounded her); they are grieved at my departure; do Thou, who lovest them more than I do, console them; bless them, and give them strength to do great things for Thy glory.


The life of Mary being now at its close, the most delicious music, as Saint Jerome relates, was heard in the apartment where she lay; and, according to a revelation of Saint Bridget, the room was also filled with a brilliant light. This sweet music, and the unaccustomed splendour, warned the holy Apostles that Mary was then departing. This caused them again to burst forth in tears and prayers, and raising their hands, with one voice they exclaimed: ' O, Mother, thou already goest to heaven; thou leavest us; give us thy last blessing, and never forget us miserable creatures.' Mary, turning her eyes around upon all, as if to bid them a last farewell, said, ' Adieu, my children, I bless you; fear not, I will never forget you.' And now death came, not indeed clothed in mourning and grief, as it does to others, but adorned with light and gladness. But what do we say? Why speak of death? Let us rather say that Divine love came, and cut the thread of that noble life. And as a light before going out, gives a last and brighter flash than ever ; so did this beautiful creature on hearing her Son's invitation to follow Him, wrapped in the flames of love, and in the midst of her amorous sighs, give a last sigh of still more ardent love, and breathing forth her soul, expired. Thus was that great Soul, that beautiful Dove of the Lord, loosened from the bands of this life; thus did she enter into the glory of the blessed, where she is now seated, and will be seated, Queen of paradise for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment